Permit to destroy vegetation or to excavate or place fill (riverine protection permit) - Queensland


Unless the activity is exempt under the guidelines below, this permit is required to:

  • destroy native vegetation in a watercourse, lake or spring
  • excavate in a watercourse, lake or spring
  • place fill in a watercourse, lake or spring.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


A riverine protection permit is not required if the activity is:

  • listed as an exemption under section 814(2) of the Water Act 2000 (Qld) or
  • permitted under sections 4951 of the Water Regulation 2002 (Qld), that is, undertaken in accordance with the following guidelines:
  1. activities in a watercourse, lake or spring carried out by an entity exemptions to local governments, government departments and certain government-owned corporations
  2. activities in a watercourse, lake or spring associated with mining operationsguidelines for holders of a mineral development licences or mining leases under the Mineral Resources Act 1989 (Qld)
  3. activities in a watercourse or lake undertaken by a holder of an interim resource operations licence, resource operations licence or distribution operations licence
  4. activities in a watercourse, lake or spring carried out by a landowner.

Eligibility requirements

If the applicant is not the owner of the land wholly containing the length of the watercourse, or the part of the lake or spring, or adjoining the watercourse, lake or spring, where the activity is to take place, you must have the written consent of the land owner/s for the application.


This permit remains in effect for the period specified, unless cancelled before the expiry.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Common All Riverine protection permits (Opens in new window)

Application process

You can apply by submitting a completed application form to your regional office. Further information is available on the Business Queensland website.


This permit cannot be transferred.

Additional information

Before any destruction of vegetation, can be conducted, a development permit under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 may be required for clearing the vegetation.

A development permit, where necessary, will need to be applied for separately from the Riverine protection permit.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Service Delivery

Water Services Support, Regional Support

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Water Services Support, Regional Support

Service Delivery

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Website: Department of Natural Resources and Mines (Opens in new window)