Permit to muster or travel stock in a protected area - Queensland


You will need this permit if you intend to move stock on national parks and other protected areas, including:

  • mustering your own cattle from the protected area
  • travelling stock from one place to another through a protected area.

Protected areas include national parks, state forests or other protected. Stock means cattle, horses, sheep, goats, or swine, or the young of any such animals.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must provide:

  • evidence of $20 million public liability insurance
  • specific Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) insurance and indemnity requirements dependant on the type of activity you are proposing
  • a description of the protected areas, or parts of protected areas, in which you intend to muster or travel stock
  • a map showing the relevant locations and travel route
  • the dates you intend to be on the nominated area and the duration of the permit
  • a statement that explains why the stock are in the protected area (for permits to muster stock), why alternative routes of travel not practical or possible (for permits to travel stock) and what steps you will take to ensure public safety and avoid impacts on visitors.


30 days for travelling and 1 year for mustering.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Licence All

You do not need to pay any fees.

Lodgement process


Mustering permits cannot be renewed or extended. You will need to apply for a new permit.

Application process


You must be issued with a permit before you can begin stock movement.

Contact your local QPWS regional office to discuss your proposed activity before you lodge your application.

Formal applications can be made by submitting an application form along with any required supporting information.

Approval time

A minimum of 40 business days from receipt of a valid application.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Science and Innovation

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.