Permit to occupy land in state forest - Queensland


You will need an occupation permit if you intend to occupy any state forest, timber reserve or forest reserve for a particular purpose, including:

  • water infrastructure, such as pipelines, artificial waters, water storage areas and dams
  • educational and scientific facilities
  • public infrastructure
  • recreational facilities
  • communication facilities
  • other purposes (including coal seam gas activities).

Applications for occupation permits will be assessed to confirm that the proposed use is appropriate to the site and area. An occupation permit will typically not be granted for state forest, timber reserve or forest reserve if the proposed use:

  • is inconsistent with the management principles for the reserve
  • would endanger or destroy any special values attached to the land
  • would have an adverse impact, directly or indirectly, on Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) management or the rights of other lawful users of the area (including native title rights and interests).

Occupation permits will only be granted if the chief executive is satisfied that your proposed use of the land meets the requirements of the relevant legislation and policy.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply for this permit you will need to undertake an environmental impact assessment. The assessment should address the following environmental issues:

  • pest plants including preventing introduction control of existing occurrences
  • minimisation of visual impact of works (to complement the landscape)
  • soil conservation and erosion
  • water course protection (a water course licence may be required)
  • impacts upon flora, fauna and biodiversity factors.


Up to 10 years for private use and up to 20 years for public infrastructure.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You can find the current fees here.


Application process


You can apply for this permit by:

  • completing the application form
  • providing the name of the state forest or forest reserve and the site within that area where you wish to conduct activities
  • providing a detailed outline of all intended activities within the area and site
  • supplying an environment management plan
  • including a survey plan or A4 map
  • providing the relevant fee.


This licence cannot be transferred.

Administering agency

Department of Environment and Science

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.