Permit to occupy - Queensland


You will need this licence if you intend to occupy unallocated state land, a reserve or road. Permits will only be issued for matters of a:

  • minor nature, for example pump sites, bore sites or apiary sites
  • temporary nature, for example exit ramp to a building site during construction, parking of vehicles, storage or grazing.

Permits do not allow exclusive possession of the land and the reason for occupation must be able to co-exist with the purpose of the land (e.g. a road or reserve).

Notice of your application must be first provided to the road manager or trustee of the reserve to determine the impacts of your application.

If an existing property fence is to be used as a boundary fence for the permit to occupy and you do not own the fence, you must submit a written agreement signed by you and the fence owner detailing agreed conditions about the maintenance of the fence.

If water is to be obtained from a stream or natural waterhole and the associated pump is to be located on unallocated state land, you must obtain a permit to occupy. In most cases, a water licence will also be required.

You are strongly encouraged to arrange a pre-lodgement meeting with the department before you apply to ensure you have the information you need to apply correctly.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Eligibility requirements vary depending on the type of land and proposed use.


Short permits are issues for periods of less than 12 months.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $314.71

Fees for 2024-25

Other resources


This permit cannot be transferred.

Administering agency

Department of Resources

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.