Petroleum Facility Licence - Queensland


A petroleum facility licence is required to construct and operate a petroleum facility.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

If an offer of a petroleum facility licence is sent to the applicant by the minister, the applicant may be required to pay the first year's licence fee and a security deposit, if the applicant accepts the offer.


Up to a maximum of 30 years from the date of the petroleum facility licence. The minister administering the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004 may renew the licence at their discretion.


See Pipeline and facility licences in other resources below.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Common All Pipeline and facility licences (Opens in new window)

Application process

You can apply for a petroleum facility licence electronically using the MyMinesOnline system on the Business Queensland website. Alternatively you may complete an application form and submit the any attachments and the prescribed fee at a Mines lodgement office.

A petroleum facility licence cannot be granted until an environmental authority is issued. To obtain an environmental authority, contact the department. A security may be required, along with the first years licence fee for the petroleum facility licence, by the minister administering the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004.


A petroleum facility licence may be transferred (see Part 10 of the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004, if you are a holder of the petroleum facility licence and you are a party to the transfer.

To transfer:

  • complete prescribed form PA-05A available on the department's website:
  • submit to the address stated on the application form with the prescribed fee. All the requirements, including attachments, as detailed in the prescribed form must be met, or must accompany, the application form.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Service Delivery

Mining and Petroleum Operations

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Petroleum Engineer

Mining and Petroleum Operations

Service Delivery

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Website: Department of Natural Resources and Mines (Opens in new window)