Plumbing and drainage occupational licence - Queensland


You need this licence if you intend to physically carry out plumbing or drainage work as an employee of a person who holds a contractor licence of the same class. This licence allows you to install, commission, maintain and test plumbing and drainage services in all classes of building and premises, but it does not allow you to enter into contracts for work.

You can apply for a restricted occupational licence if you only intend to carry out water plumbing work or on-site sewage drainage work.

You may need to apply for an endorsement to allow you to perform specific types of work not covered under this licence. Plumbers and drainers will require an endorsement if they intend to specialise in the following areas:

  • Backflow prevention
  • thermostatic mixing valve
  • fire protection - commercial and industrial
  • fire protection - domestic and residential
  • solar and heat pump hot water system installation
  • on-site sewage facility maintenance.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Your requirements will vary depending on your class of licence. To be eligible, you will need to meet the appropriate technical requirements.

If you do not meet the technical qualifications, you may be able to obtain one through recognition of prior learning (RPL) by a registered training organisation (RTO). Please see the attached resources for specific information on these requirements.

If you are an interstate applicant, you may be eligible to obtain a licence through mutual recognition. If you are an international applicant, you may have to have an overseas qualification assessed for equivalency prior to applying.


Up to five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All You can find the current fees here.

Approval time

Applications can take between 6 and 12 weeks to be processed, depending on their complexity


You cannot transfer this licence.

Administering agency

Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Customer Contact Centre

Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Operating address: 299 Montague Road
West End, Queensland 4101
Mailing address: GPO BOX 5099
Brisbane, Queensland 4001
Phone: 13 93 33
Fax: 07 3225 2999
Contact us website: Regional service centres (Opens in new window)
Website: Queensland Building and Construction Commission (Opens in new window)