Queensland plumbing and wastewater code - Queensland


You will need to comply with this code if you intend to carry out work that involves plumbing and drainage. Plumbing and drainage work involves permit work, notifiable work and minor work. You will need to have an occupational licence to carry out any plumbing and drainage work.

Permit work involves work which has a higher risk of failure and requires a permit from your local council. This type of work can include, but is not limited to, construction of a new building, trade waste work and combined drainage work.

Minor work must be performed by a licensee but does not require approval from your local council. Minor work can involve any of the following:

  • unblocking sanitary plumbing and / or drainage
  • repairing a broken or damage pipe
  • maintaining an apparatus, fitting or fixture
  • maintaining or repairing a greywater use facility or an on-site sewage facility
  • installing a greywater diversion device
  • maintaining a fire hydrant or fire hose reel
  • sealing a supply pipe downstream from the water meter
  • installing, removing or replacing an automatic switching device for a rainwater tank.

Notifiable work allows a licensed plumber or drainer to perform plumbing or drainage work without a permit approved by their local council. This work involves most work that is performed in existing homes and limited work on commercial building. You will need to register with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission if you intend to carry out notifiable work.

You must also comply with this code if you intend to carry out unregulated work. Anyone can perform unregulated plumbing and drainage work, however you must still satisfy the minimum standards of work under the legislation and codes. Unregulated work may include, but is not limited to, the following:

  • replacing a shower head or domestic water filter cartridge
  • replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap
  • maintaining a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber in a toilet cistern
  • installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system
  • maintaining a ground level grate for a trap on a sanitary drain.

This code of practice provides practical guidance on how to comply with your plumbing and drainage standards and covers performance solutions to meet the statutory requirements of the legislation.

Service type

Code of Practice

A code of practice is a set of rules which details how people in a certain industry should behave. A code of practice can be defined as a result of legislation or by industry regulators and bodies.

Other resources

Administering agency

Department of Housing, Local Government, Planning and Public Works

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.