You will need to obtain registration if you manage or control any of the following equipment:
- Boilers, categorised as hazard level A, B or C according to the criteria in section 2.1 of AS 4343:2005 (Pressure equipment - Hazard levels)
- Pressure vessels categorised as hazard level A, B or C according to the criteria in section 2.1 of AS 4343:2005 (Pressure equipment - Hazard levels), except gas cylinders, LP gas fuel vessels for automotive use, or serially produced vessels
- Building maintenance units
- Lifts, including escalators and moving walkways, except lifts stated in section 4(2)
- Mobile cranes with a rated capacity of greater than 10 tonnes
- Tower cranes including self-erecting tower cranes
- Concrete placement units with delivery booms
- Amusement devices covered by section 2.1 of AS 3533.1 (Amusement Rides and Devices), except class 1 structures stated in section 4(3).
All applications for plant registration must include a 'safe to operate' statement which declares that the item of plant has been inspected by a competent person and assessed by that person as being safe to operate.
A competent person who is qualified to inspect plant for the 'safe to operate' statement must have:
- educational or vocational qualifications in an engineering discipline relevant to the plant to be inspected (except for inflatable amusement devices with platform height less than 9m)
- knowledge of the technical standards relevant to the plant to be inspected.
A certificate of registration is issued for all registered plant (fixed and mobile).