Residential services registration and accreditation - Queensland


You will need this registration to provide a residential service. A residential service provides accommodation in return for payment of rent, with 4 or more residents, who occupy 1 or more rooms and individually pay rent and share facilities.

Typically, each resident has the right to occupy 1 or more rooms but not the whole premises. Residents in a residential service share facilities such as a bathroom, kitchen, common areas and laundry. Some residential services also provide residents with food or a personal care service as part of their accommodation agreement.

Examples of residential services include:

  • privately owned and operated boarding house
  • supported accommodation hostel
  • aged rental accommodation.

Accommodation services which are not considered residential services include accommodation specifically for tourists, travellers, students or employees.

You will need to apply for accreditation within 3 months of receiving your registration. Accreditation is a detailed assessment of how well your registered residential service meets the accreditation standards.

You can apply for 3 levels of accreditation:

  • Level 1 Accommodation service
  • Level 2 Food service
  • Level 3 Personal care service.

All providers must apply for Level 1 accreditation. However, you may also apply for additional levels if those services apply to your business. To obtain accreditation, you must show that your residential service meets the minimum standards for each accreditation level.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • have not been declared bankrupt, or been convicted of a disqualifying offence within the last 5 years.

Corporations are eligible for registration if they have not gone into receivership or liquidation, had an executive declare bankruptcy, or been convicted of a disqualifying offence within the last 5 years.

You must obtain a building compliance notice from your council or local authority to operate a residential service. You must apply for a building compliance notice when you apply for registration of your service, when you renew your accreditation or when there are any physical changes to the registered premises. Your council or local authority is responsible for ensuring you comply with the requirements of the Queensland Development Code and the building standard within the Code.

The compliance notice will be issued within 20 days of receiving your application. If there are non-compliance issues, the notice will state the reasons and indicate what you can change to comply. You will then have 20 business days after receiving the non-compliance notice to appeal the decision.


You only need to register your residential service once, and you do not have to renew it unless your registration is cancelled. Accreditation is granted for a period of up to 3 years, depending upon the number of accreditation standards met.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $360.30

Registration of a residential service. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All $35.99

Accreditation - per resident being accommodated at the time of application. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All $183.80

Registration as the service provider for a registered service. Fees for 2023-24

General Duplicate Certificate All $45.53

Replacement accreditation certificate. Fees for 2023-24

Renew Renewal All $35.99

Accreditation - per resident being accommodated at the time of application. Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $12.77

Accreditation - per resident being accommodated at the time of application. Fees for 2023-24

Vary Variation All $272.00

Amendment of registration of registered service. Fees for 2023-24

Application process


To apply for registration, you must:

  • complete the approved application form
  • pay the prescribed fee
  • complete a criminal history check and submit the National Police Certificate
  • provide a building compliance notice issued by your local council
  • submit a fire safety management plan or fire safety plan.


To renew your accreditation, you must lodge an application to renew your accreditation before the accreditation period, but not more than 3 months before the expiry date.

Transfer process


If there is a change of service provider (i.e. the sale of the business or a new partner) in relation to a registered residential service, a notification of the change is required. You will need to submit the application form to become a registered service provider of a currently registered residential service.

To add or transfer an associate, you must submit the application form within 30 days of the person becoming an associate. An associate can be a person who is employed to manage the day-to-day operation of the business and who makes decisions on behalf of the service provider.

Approval time

Approximately 4 - 6 weeks

Administering agency

Department of Housing, Local Government, Planning and Public Works

Regulatory Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.