Resource allocation authority (for aquaculture) - Queensland


You need a resource allocation authority if you intend to undertake aquaculture developments on unallocated tidal land or in Queensland waters (e.g. oyster or pearl farming).

A resource allocation authority does not give the holder any right of ownership or tenure over the land, or grant the holder the right to carry out the proposed development without a valid aquaculture development approval. Aquaculture development involving an intake or discharge structure, only part of which is within unallocated state land, does not require a resource allocation authority. Other approvals may also be required, for example permission to perform works in a declared Fish Habitat Area or within a State Marine Park.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this authority, you will need to:

  • identify any existing stakeholders in the area of the proposed aquaculture operation and include details of how the proposed aquaculture operation will minimise conflict with other fisheries stakeholders. Existing stakeholders may include commercial fishers, recreational fishers and traditional owners
  • provide specific details of the area being applied for must be provided. This includes providing a marine navigation chart or boating safety chart which identifies the boundaries of the proposed area where the aquaculture activity will take place, with GPS co-ordinates (latitude and longitude in decimal degrees) for each corner marker
  • provide evidence that a bank guarantee can be obtained for their proposed aquaculture operation. Evidence may include a letter from the bank or lending institution
  • provide a business plan
  • provide the species group you intend to culture
  • describe the methods and techniques you intend to use to culture the species you have listed.


Resource allocation authorities are generally issued for 30 years. However, there are exceptions and in some cases the authority is issued for a lesser period.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You can find the current fees here.


You will need to contact the relevant government agency before transferring a resource allocation authority.

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

Fisheries Queensland

Impact Assessment and Management

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Impact Assessment and Management

Fisheries Queensland

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

Operating address: Freshwater Fish and Habitat Unit
Floor 2, 80 Ann St
Queensland 4000
Mailing address: GPO Box 46
Queensland 4001
Phone: 07 3405 6798
Fax: 07 3224 2805
Website: Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (Opens in new window)