** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Roadside vending approval - Gold Coast City Council - Queensland


You will need approval to conduct roadside vending. Roadside vending refers to the commercial supply of goods or services on or next to a road and can involve both mobile roadside vending and stationary roadside vending.

Any stall, booth, stand, tables, chairs or standing vehicle set up on any road for the purpose of carrying on any business, requires an approval from council.

If you are operating on state-controlled roads, you will need to contact the department in charge of state roads for information on the State government roadside vending policy.

This approval does not apply to footpath dining activities.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Mobile roadside vendors travel from place to place on a road and are waved down by customers. Mobile roadside vendors sell products that are either ready for sale or prepared in a short period, for example pre-packaged food and coffee.

The following conditions apply:

  • Vending must be conducted on roads only. The sale of goods in parks, including parking areas within parks and on beaches is prohibited.
  • The operator must be waved down in order to make a sale.
  • Stopping time on the roadside is limited to the duration of the sale. Waiting for customers is not permitted.
  • Operators are prohibited from selling their products or services within 250 metres of a fixed food premises that is open and provides the same, or similar, goods or services.

Stationary roadside vending operates in one place. The following conditions apply:

  • The operation must be located outside a 5-kilometre radius of a retail shop, other commercial premises, or another stationary vending operation, that sells or provides similar products or services.
  • Hours of operation must not adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood.

You may also need a public liability insurance certificate of currency for a minimum of AU$10 million (mandatory for stationary vending). The insurance policy must be in the same name as the applicant.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

Your council or local authority will monitor all roadside vending through a routine inspection program.


31 August


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees vary. Please contact the council for more information.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 2009 Queensland

Lodgement process


To gain roadside vending approval, you must:

  • complete the application form
  • submit a site plan
  • pay the prescribed fee.

You must provide evidence of public liability insurance, naming your council or local authority as an interested party, before your application is given approval. Your council or local authority will advise the value of public liability insurance you will need.


This approval cannot be transferred.

Administering agency

Gold Coast City Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.