You will need to comply with this code if you operate a mining project with a relatively low environmental impact and meet the eligibility criteria for an exemption from an environmental authority.
The purpose of this code is to:
- ensure activities are carried out in an environmentally responsible way
- ensure land subject to the activities is managed responsible
- minimise conflicts about land use because of carrying out the activities
- ensure land is rehabilitated, and improvements on the land are restored to an appropriate condition, after the small scale mining activities are carried out.
- impose mandatory conditions on mining claim or exploration permits concerning the conduct of authorised activities on land.