You need this licence if you intend to keep, trade and breed:
- up to 50 class 1 animals
- a maximum of 2 amphibians, birds, and reptiles
- unlimited protected scorpions and spiders.
You will require permission if you intend to dispose (e.g. sell or give away) an animal within 6 months of acquiring it. Animals can however be bred under a Specialised licence but you must not have more than 50 vertebrates (reptiles, birds, and amphibians) at any given time. Newly hatched / born offspring are included in the limit of 50 animals. If you exceed your animal limit at anytime you must notify the department within 24 hours and do one of the following:
- upgrade your licence to ensure that it covers the new number of animals you have
- euthanise them humanely
- in limited circumstances, seek approval to sell or give away excess animals.
There are 312 species that require a specialised animal licence. Please see 'Animals requiring a specialised licence' in resources for a full list of animals permitted under this licence.
You must comply with the following codes of practice:
- Captive reptile and amphibian husbandry
Please contact the administering agency for more information.