Tow Truck Licence Holder - Queensland


You require this licence to register a business operating tow trucks, in regulated areas:

  • at the scene of a crash
  • at police vehicles seizure under Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000
  • from 16 April 2018, to remove vehicles from private property where a written contract exists between you and the property owner/occupier authorising the removal of vehicles from the property. Once a written contract is in place a Towing consent form must be completed. This form is proof that the contract exists.

You do not require it in the following circumstances:

  • for tow trucks operating outside regulated areas
  • other types of towing such as breakdown and trade towing

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Class 4 tow trucks holding yard exemption:

Class 4 tow truck operators may apply for an exemption from having a holding yard. For this type of specialized operation, the damaged vehicle being towed (e.g. trucks, large buses and combination vehicles) is mainly towed to the premises of the vehicle owner or a specialised repairer.

An exemption can only be granted to a class 4 tow truck licence holder. If a class 4 tow truck licence holder subsequently acquires any other class of licensed tow truck (other than class 4) then the exemption is void.

An application for exemption must be made in writing to the Manager (Compliance) or Regional Director at your nearest Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre outlining the reasons why an exemption is being requested.

If the application is approved, the original approval letter or a copy of the approval letter must be carried in the tow truck and be produced if requested by an authorised officer. An application for renewal of the exemption must be made annually with renewal notice of the tow truck licence.


This licence will be issued for a period of 12 months. From 16 April 2018,renewal duration may be chosen from 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 years.



Application process

You can obtain this licence by completing a "Tow Truck Licence Application (F4644)" and submitting it to a Department of Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre. For locations of Customer Service Centres please ring 13 23 80 or visit the department's website at

You must submit the following documents with the application:

  • vehicle registration and inspection certificates
  • proof of registration/incorporation (of the business name or company).
  • the criminal history for each applicant will be checked (if applicant is a corporation, criminal history check for each executive officer of the corporation)

Required after applying but before approval is granted Transport Inspectors will conduct physical inspections of your business premises, holding yard/s and tow truck/s.

At the inspection you must provide:

  • proof of ownership/lease agreement for the business premises
  • council approval for use of the premises and holding yard/s

Transfer process

This licence cannot be transferred.

Additional information

If you are a tow truck licence holder and you acquire the title to any of the vehicles you remove or tow, you may need a special licence. Depending on how you dispose of the vehicles, you may be considered a second hand dealer, motor dealer or motor dealer wrecker, and these activities require a licence.

For further information about these licence products or to obtain an application form, please contact the Office of Fair Trading on 13 74 68 or visit

Administering agency

Department of Transport and Main Roads

Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division

Transport Regulation Branch

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Transport Regulation Branch

Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division

Department of Transport and Main Roads

Operating address: Customer Service Centre
Phone: 13 23 80
Website: Department of Transport and Main Roads (Opens in new window)