If your business discharges any liquid waste to a sewer (other than domestic sewerage) then you require a trade waste approval from council.
A trade waste approval will specify councils conditions for discharging trade waste into its sewerage system. The purpose of the approval is to manage the potentially adverse effects of waste, which can cause blockages or corrosion, undermine the sewerage treatment process or be harmful to people..
Trade waste approval is required for a wide range of business activities. Examples of business activities that require trade waste approval are:
- food and beverage preparation
- manufacturing, including food and beverages, textiles, leather, paper, wood and plastic, tanneries, wool processing, glass, plaster, resin, ceramic or brick manufacture and stone working
- farms or clubs using organic and inorganic fertilisers, weedkillers or insecticides
- abbatoirs and butchers
- metal processing, finishing, fabricating or engineering operations
- hospitals, dental clinics, veterinary clinics and educational, testing or research laboratories
- vehicle and plant-related businesses (including truck drivers, car parks and transport depots, panel beaters, spray painters, car washes, service stations, wreckers, plant, vehicle and equipment hire and washing)
- cleaning services, dry cleaning, carpet cleaning, bottle washing and laundry operations
- swimming pool operations
- any business activities that involve chemicals such as petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, inks, paints, photographic chemicals, soaps and detergents.