Trade waste approval - Unitywater - Queensland


You will need this approval if your business discharges trade waste into a sewer.

Trade waste includes any liquid waste other than domestic sewage generated from business, trade or manufacturing premises. For example, trade waste can include grease, oil, solids, heavy metals or chemicals.

Examples of businesses that might need a trade waste approval are:

  • cafes and restaurants
  • manufacturing
  • farms
  • abattoirs and butchers
  • medical services
  • vehicle and plant-related businesses
  • cleaning services.

Unitywater is responsible for the sewerage infrastructure within the following councils:

  • Moreton Bay Regional Council
  • Sunshine Coast Regional Council
  • Noosa Shire Council.

If you reside in one of these council areas, you will need to apply for this approval through Unitywater.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You will need approval to alter any processes involved in generating trade waste.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You can find the current fees here.


Application process


To apply for this licence, you will need to complete an application form and submit it to UnityWater with the appropriate fee. A site inspection by Unitywater may be required.


You cannot transfer this approval. If you change property ownership or lease a business establishment, you will have to reapply for a new approval.

Administering agency


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.