The Act provides for the safe and efficient management of vehicles and vehicle operators using roads in Queensland. It establishes a scheme to provide for:
- identification of vehicles, drivers and other road users and the establishment of performance standards;
- establishment of rules for on road behaviour;
- monitoring of compliance with the Act, including by using alternative compliance schemes;
- management of non performing vehicles, drivers and other road users;
- control of access to the road network, or parts of it, for vehicles, drivers and other road users; and
- management of traffic to enhance safety and transport efficiency.
Under Section 133 of the Act, the occupier of every garage or other premises where motor vehicles are repaired or painted for reward shall keep a register in writing and shall enter therein in respect of every motor vehicle in which repairs are carried out or painting is effected at such garage or premises:
- the make, model, engine number, chassis number, registered number and colour of such motor vehicle.
- the name and address of the person leaving such motor vehicle and of the owner thereof.
- the date and time of receiving such motor vehicle at such garage or premises.
- the nature of the repairs or painting, including the colour of painting carried out, and
- such further particulars as may be prescribed.
Such register shall be kept at the premises where such repairs are or painting is carried out for the period of three years after the day the work is carried out.
Every such occupier who:
- fails to keep such a register, or
- makes or causes or permits to be made any false, incorrect or misleading entry in such register, or
- fails to make any entry required by this Act to be made in such register, shall be guilty of an offence.
The occupier of a garage or other premises shall not be convicted of an offence against this section in relation to repairs effected to a motor vehicle at such garage or other premises if the court is satisfied:
- that, at the time when such repairs were effected, particulars as required by subsection (1)(a) of that motor vehicle and the name and address of the owner thereof were recorded in the aforementioned register, and
- that such motor vehicle was delivered at such garage or other premises for the purpose of being so repaired by, or with the authority of, the person recorded in such register as the owner thereof, and
- that such register containing particulars as specified in paragraph a. was available for inspection at the time when the repairs in question were effected and at all times thereafter to and including the date of the hearing of the complaint for the offence.