Water licence to take water from or interfere with the water in watercourses/lakes/springs/aquifers/overland flow - Queensland


This water licence is required to take water or to interfere with the flow of water:

  • in a watercourse, lake or spring
  • any artesian water
  • subartesian water in areas specified in a Water Resource Plan, a wild river declaration (Wild Rivers Act 2005) or declared by the Water Regulation 2016

Or to take

  • overland flow water in areas specified under a Water resource plan

Note: A licence is not required by an owner of land adjoining a watercourse, lake or spring to take water for stock or domestic use.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You should contact the department prior to making application, to determine any prerequisites.


Water licences are granted for the period specified in the licence. Water licences may be renewed.


See Water licences in Forms below.


Task Business Structure Resources
Common All Water licences (Opens in new window)

Application process

Information on how to apply is available on the Business Queensland website.


If the licensee intends to cease to be the owner of the land the licensee may apply to transfer the licence to the person who will be the owner of the land. However, if the licensee does not apply to transfer the licence, the licence transfers by default to the registered owner of the land immediately the licensee ceases to be the owner.

Application on the approved form or ensuring registration of the land sale occurs in the Automated Title System.

You can transfer this licence by applying in writing on the approved form to your nearest departmental office at the address given on the department website.

Additional information

A development permit issued under the Integrated Planning Act 1997 is required to physically construct the works (eg, pump) necessary to take or interfere with water.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Service Delivery

Water Services Support, Regional Support

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Water Services Support, Regional Support

Service Delivery

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Website: Department of Natural Resources and Mines (Opens in new window)