Community liquor permit - Queensland


Community liquor permits are often required by unlicensed organisations who wish to sell or supply liquor on a temporary or one-off occasion. These permits are often used for school fetes, rodeos and sporting events in Queensland only.

Organisations that apply for community liquor permits include:

  • parent and citizen associations
  • non-proprietary clubs
  • theatre groups
  • not-for-profit organisations.

BYO (bring your own) alcohol is not permitted in conjunction with a community liquor permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


An eligible non-profit organisation holding a low risk fundraising event may not need a community liquor permit to be able to sell/supply alcohol at their event. For example, small regional shows and some community events.

Generally a community liquor permit is not required if the event is conducted by an eligible association and you answer 'yes' to each of the following questions:

  • Are all net proceeds used for the benefit of the community?
  • Is the sale of liquor ancillary to the fundraising event?
  • Will liquor be sold for a period of 8 hours or less and between 7 am and midnight?

To find out if you need a community liquor permit you can complete the online self-assessment.

Although a community liquor permit is not required, the following restrictions apply to exempt events:

  • liquor must be sold by an adult, in an open container and for consumption at the event
  • the entity must ensure the sale of liquor does not create an unsafe environment at the event
  • liquor must not be sold or supplied in a way that encourages rapid or excessive consumption
  • liquor must not be sold or supplied to minors or patrons who are unduly intoxicated or disorderly.

Private party

You do not need a permit to hold a private party provided:

  • liquor is supplied free of charge
  • there is no cover charge
  • you will not derive a direct or indirect financial benefit; and
  • liquor is not supplied to gain or keep custom or other commercial advantage.

Eligibility requirements

A community liquor permit may only be granted to an individual over the age of 18 on behalf of a non-proprietary club, organisation or association. A person or commercial operation cannot obtain a permit to make money for themselves.

An association is eligible if it is a non-profit entity and: 

  • the entity or an executive officer has not been given a non-compliance notice under section 14C(3) of the Liquor Act 1992 within the last 6 months
  • the entity or an executive officer is not/was not a licensee or permit holder who, within the past 5 years, has:
  1. been given an urgent suspension notice under the Liquor Act
  2. been convicted or a breach of sections 155A, 156, 156A or 169 of the Liquor Act
  3. breached a condition of a licence or permit regarding minimising alcohol-related disturbances or public disorder.

An eligible association does not need to be incorporated, or registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission.

However, an association is not eligible if:

  • It is a criminal organisation under the Criminal Organisation Act 2009


  • the entity or executive officer is disqualified from holding a licence under the Liquor Act.


One-off permit


Common Fees details for this service in table format.

Type Amount Description
Application $72.95

Application for a community liquor permit. Fees are per day.

Miscellaneous -

All fees are indexed annually. Annual fees are payable by 31 July each year.

The OLGR credit card payment authority form can be used for credit card payments of all OLGR fees.

OLGR will not accept credit card details by fax or email, including PDF attachments. If an email is received with credit card details, it will be deleted immediately and your form will not be processed. This is in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.

Application process

Applications must be lodged at least 21 days prior to the event date. Event organisers are strongly encouraged to submit their applications to OLGR as early as possible to ensure there is sufficient time for discussion and negotiation of suitable trading conditions for their event.

Lodging an application does not automatically mean it will be approved. Advertising or promoting your event before a decision has been made is done so at the applicant's own risk.

There are 3 ways to apply:

1. Apply online using the application for community liquor permit (payment methods include - credit card, BPay, cheque, money order).

2. Post Form 7: Application for community liquor permit to:

Department of Justice and Attorney-General
Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation
Licensing Division
Locked Bag 180
City East QLD 4002

3. Deliver Form 7: Application for community liquor permit to your nearest OLGR branch.

Note: Community liquor permit applications are generally processed within a week. Where information or supporting documentation is outstanding, or if the application is deemed high risk, processing time may take longer.

Transfer process

This licence cannot be transferred.

Additional information

How do I receive my permit?

If your application is approved, a copy of the permit will be emailed to you. You must prominently display the permit for the duration of the event or function. How and where you display the permit is at your discretion, unless otherwise stated.

What is an event management plan and when is it required?

The event management plan is a document designed to assist event organisers through the planning process of a high risk event.

If your event is considered high-risk (see Liquor guideline 32: Community liquor permits and commercial public event permits (approvals for high risk public events) and Liquor guideline 33: High-risk community and commercial public events you will be required to complete an event management plan and submit it with this community liquor permit application.

The event management plan must be provided to an OLGR Officer or Queensland Police Officer upon request prior to, during, or after the event has taken place.

Event managers need to be aware that the provision and consumption of alcohol must be carefully considered when organising an event. Ineffective alcohol management, particularly irresponsible serving practices, can create risks for staff, event patrons and the public. The event management plan focuses on the issues which, if handled correctly, can improve the quality and safety of public events.

Is there a restriction on the hours I can sell liquor?

Standard trading hours are between 10am to 12 midnight.

Police endorsement is required if you wish to apply to trade between 12 midnight and 10 am. In this case, you must contact the Officer-in-Charge of the local police station to obtain their endorsement prior to lodging your application with OLGR. Police may provide endorsement by telephone or may require you to print and submit your application in person for endorsement.

Visit the Queensland Police Service to find contact details of the police station responsible for the location in which the event will be held. You will be required to provide details of the Officer-in-Charge you obtained endorsement from, their station, telephone number and date endorsement was provided.

Community liquor permit trading hours cannot extend beyond 12 midnight on the days immediately prior to Good Friday, Anzac Day and Christmas Day.

What if my event is going to be held in a public place?

If your event or function is to be held in a public place or a venue controlled by your local council (e.g. local park, community centre) you must obtain prior approval from the relevant council. Council may provide endorsement by telephone or may require you to print and submit your application in person for endorsement.

Visit the Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs to find contact details of your local council. You will be required to provide details of the Council representative you obtained endorsement from. This person must be authorised to provide comment on behalf of Council.

What is a liquor consumption area?

The consumption of liquor at your event must take place within a designated area containing one or multiple serving points and clearly defined by the following:

If the consumption area is to be located outdoors, then it should be defined by temporary/permanent fencing of at least one metre in height (please note: chalk marking or signage only is not acceptable). Examples of outdoor consumptions areas may include - next to clubhouse, adjoining school hall, located on the northern side of sporting field etc.

If the consumption area is located within the bounds of a room or building, then you will be required to indicate the name of the building/hall. Examples of indoor consumption areas may include -  community recreation centre, conference room, school/assembly hall, multi-purpose room etc. Measurements of the consumption area/s must be provided in your application. If more than one consumption area is required, patrons cannot move between consumption areas while in possession of liquor unless the areas are joined. Adequate signage indicating the extent of the consumption area and that liquor is not to be removed from the consumption area must be displayed at all times during the permitted trading hours.

Do I need to provide security at my event?

Providing adequate security/crowd controllers at your event will assist minimising the risks which the event organiser/permittee is responsible for. The number of security providers required is assessed on the level of risk associated with the type of event, patron numbers and the length of trading hours. Volunteer security is also an option for lower risk events.

As a general rule, OLGR recommends the following minimum security ratio:
The number of crowd controllers prescribed for premises is the number stated for the following number of patrons of the premises -

  • not more than 100 patrons - 1
  • more than 100 but not more than 200 patrons - 2
  • more than 200 but not more than 300 patrons - 3
  • more than 300 but not more than 400 patrons - 4
  • more than 400 but not more than 500 patrons - 5
  • more than 500 patrons - 5, plus at least 1 crowd controller for each 250 patrons, or part of 250, more than 500.

Do I need to employ staff with responsible service of alcohol (RSA) certification?

The permittee must take reasonable steps to ensure that any volunteer staff involved in the service or supply of liquor is under the general supervision of a person holding a current RSA training certificate.

Can I raffle liquor?

Liquor can be offered as a prize only if it has a retail value less than $1,000. If conducting a raffle and ticket sales are going to exceed $50,000, you must apply for a category 3 gaming licence from OLGR.. Please contact OLGR on 13 QGOV (13 74 68) if you think you will require a licence.

Can children/minors attend an event where liquor is being supplied?

Yes, as long as that minor is in the company of a responsible adult at all times.

Can I obtain a permit to sell liquor online?

The Queensland Liquor Act 1992 does not have provision to allow the sale of liquor on a one-off or temporary basis on internet sites such as eBay. Advertisements or listings you may have seen on online auction sites may have been approved through another State.

If we have a community other licence, can we apply for a community liquor permit for the same licensed area to allow general public to attend?

Yes. In addition to the community liquor permit application, you will need to submit the Form 16: Application for temporary change in licensed area requesting to decrease the licensed area covered by your community other licence. Both applications need to be submitted at the same time.

Compliance for licensees

All licensees under the Liquor Act 1992 must comply with the conditions of their respective licences.
Read more about compliance for liquor licensees.

Liquor guidelines

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation

Licensing Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Licensing Division

Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation

Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Operating address: 63 George Street
Brisbane City, Queensland 4000
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 180
City East, Queensland 4002
Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Fax: 07 3738 8531