** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Allocation notice to take quarry material - Queensland


You will need this allocation to remove quarry material from land under State tidal water. This applies to:

  • extractive industry (e.g. for sand and gravel for construction purposes)
  • capital dredging associated with some form of tidal works (e.g. excavation of a marina basin, dredging of a new navigation channel)
  • maintenance dredging.

Removal can involve taking the material for sale, reclamation, fill above the high watermark, removing the material for dewatering, or another environmental purpose on land.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In addition to an allocation notice, you may need a development permit before you can start removing underwater material. If the work is proposed within a marine park you may also need a marine park permit.

Dredging more than 1,000 tonnes within a year is an environmentally relevant activity and you will need to apply for an environmental authority.



The allocation notice remains in effect for up to 6 years, unless cancelled or suspended before the expiry date.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You can find the current fees here.

Application process


It is recommended that you arrange a pre-lodgement meeting to help prepare your application.

You can request a standard, variation or site-specific application form from the agency.

Your application must be accompanied by documentation such as plans and information about your proposed volumes and methods. Refer to the 'Guideline on dredging and allocation of quarry material' for details on what to include with your application.


You can make your application online through Online services.

Alternatively, you can complete the Part A and Part B forms and submit with the application fee to the address in the forms.

Transfer process


You can transfer all or part of your allocation of quarry material to another person.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Science and Innovation

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.