Restricted liquor permit - Queensland


You will need this permit if you operate a non-proprietary club and intend to sell liquor for consumption on premises to:

  • members of the club and their guests (while in the member's company)
  • members of other clubs with formal reciprocal rights and their guests (while in the member's company).

In addition to the above, a club that is an RSL or services club may sell liquor to:

  • an RSL honorary member and their guest(s) providing they are accompanied by the member
  • a defence member and their guest(s) providing they are accompanied by the member.

This permit will allow you to either trade up to 10 hours per week or between 10 and 25 hours per week.

A non-proprietary club is an association where any income, profits and assets are used only to promote the objective of the club, and are not distributed to its members. Examples of a non-proprietary club include a sporting club, RSL club or cultural club

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, you must:

  • be a non-proprietary club
  • ensure your club's rules meet liquor specific requirements
  • be a fit and proper or suitable person.

You will also need to take reasonable steps to ensure that any volunteer staff involved in the service or supply of liquor is under the general supervision of a person holding a current RSA training certificate.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must keep two registers:

  • a register of members with subscription details
  • a register of all members of reciprocal clubs or guests who visit the club.


Issued for a period of three to six months


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $275.90

Sale of liquor 10 to 25 hours per week. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All $138.10

Sale of liquor for less than 10 hours per week. Fees for 2023-24

Other resources

Application process


To apply for a new permit you must submit the following:

  • Form 8: Application for new restricted liquor permit
  • a risk-assessed management plan (RAMP)
  • a copy of your club's constitution
  • a copy of your club's certificate of incorporation
  • the prescribed fee.

Approval time

The average processing time is eight weeks for a new restricted liquor permit.


This permit cannot be transferred.

Additional information

The holder of a restricted liquor permit cannot:

  • sell liquor for consumption off the premises (takeaway liquor)
  • apply for a gaming machine licence
  • apply for approved extended trading hours.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation

Licensing Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.