You will need this licence if you intend to undertake commercial fishing for abalone in South Australia.
The South Australian commercial abalone fishery takes greenlip and blacklip abalone and is divided into three zones:
- the Southern Zone Abalone Fishery
- the Central Zone Abalone Fishery
- the Western Zone Abalone Fishery.
An individual catch quota system applies in each zone. Licence holders may transfer their quota entitlements to another licence holder in the same zone, temporarily or permanently.
If a boat registered for use under the abalone licence is also used under a licence or other entitlement to take fish:
- that entitlement must either be transferred together with the licence or surrendered before transfer, or
- transfer of the licence separately from the entitlement must not be likely to result in exploitative fishing activities, and the body that granted the entitlement must agree with the separate transfer of the licence.
No new licences for commercial abalone fishing are being issued. Licences are only available by transfer from an existing licence holder.