You will need a site-specific approved operational use declaration if you intend to operationally use waste or other related matter in landfill in a way not already specified in the Approved Operational Use Standard.
- any discarded, dumped, rejected, abandoned, unwanted or surplus matter
- any other matters declared by legislation, or relevant policy.
Examples of operational uses include:
- construction or maintenance of internal roads
- interim cover of landfill
- final capping of landfill cells
- landscaping and mulching.
A waste levy is payable in respect of unapproved operational use and unauthorised stockpiling at landfills.