Building Work Contractor's Licence - South Australia


You will need this licence to work as a building work contractor. A building work contractor is a person who enters into contracts to carry out building work. Building work includes site preparation, construction, demolition, trade, restoration and repairs.

Licensed building work contractors can:

  • contract for and carry out building work
  • quote and submit tenders
  • arrange labour and pay subcontractors
  • schedule work
  • conduct on-site meetings and inspections
  • subcontract to another builder.

You must apply for a licence regardless of the type of building work you intend to carry out, though you may limit your licence to specific building work (e.g. bricklaying).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • have the relevant qualification, knowledge, and experience
  • hold a current National Police Certificate
  • comply with relevant solvency requirements
  • provide evidence that you have at least $10,000 in net assets.

Applicants who intend to work in 'major residential construction' must also submit a certificate of eligibility for building indemnity insurance.

If you are applying for a building work contractor's licence as an individual, you will also need to apply for building work supervisor registration as both are needed to carry out contracted building work.

Business partners who do not personally organise or carry out the building work are no longer need to hold this licence and may apply for an exemption (as a non-active partner).


1 year


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees information is in the attached fee resource.

Application process


If you are an industrial, commercial or civil builder, you will need to lodge your completed application form with a declaration that you have adequate financial resources to conduct this type of business.

If you work in major residential construction, you will need to lodge your completed application with a certificate of eligibility for building indemnity insurance.

Transfer process


This licence cannot be transferred.

Approval time

Generally 10 to 12 weeks

Administering agency

Consumer and Business Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.