You will need this licence to possess or possess and use a firearm.
Your authorisation to possess a firearm for a particular purpose or undertake particular firearm-related activities will vary depending on the category of your licence. Firearms licence categories are:
- shooting club
- target shooting
- paint-ball shooting (for use of firearms only as the operator of a recognised paint-ball business or on the grounds of an authorised paint-ball operator under accredited supervision)
- primary production
- security guard (for use of firearms only in conjunction with an appropriate security or investigation licence)
- contract shooter (for use of firearms only in the operation of an animal control business)
- commercial range (for use of firearms only as an operator or employee of a recognised commercial range)
- shooting gallery (for use of firearms only as an operator or employee of a shooting gallery)
- collector (for collecting or displaying firearms only as an active member of a collectors club)
- miscellaneous (for other approved purposes, such as firearms manufacturing, ceremonial events, zoological or veterinary purposes, and film, television or theatrical productions)
- dealer (for possession and use of firearms, parts or ammunition for the purpose of the business of a dealer).
You will be authorised to use a particular type of firearm depending on your licence category. Details can be found on the application form.
If you intend to be a dealer of firearms, parts or ammunition, you will need a separate licence. You will also need to register each firearm in your possession.