You will need this licence if you intend to conduct an instant lottery. An instant lottery involves the sale of tickets:
- where the number, letter or symbol indicating the winning chance is hidden or concealed, such as a scratch or break-open ticket
- winnings are redeemable by lottery participants immediately after purchase of the ticket.
Instant lottery tickets must not be sold to anyone under 18 years old and must be bought from an approved supplier. Each series of instant lottery tickets must include a unique serial number and have an equal chance of winning. All net proceeds of an instant lottery, and at least 20% of the gross proceeds, must be used for an approved purpose. Approved purposes include:
- an educational or charitable purpose
- an environmental, historical, or cultural heritage purpose
- a medical purpose
- the purpose of sport or recreation
- the purpose of promoting the interests of students or staff of an educational institution
- the purpose of establishing or improving a community centre or promoting the interests of a community.