Licence to Import Explosives - South Australia


This licence is required for the importation (including importation from interstate) of any class of explosive in quantities exceeding 3 kilograms. Notification is required for each consignment imported. All imported explosives must be classified or authorised by the Dangerous Substances Branch. This licence is not transferable.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.




2019-2020 fees:
Classification codes 1.2G, 1.3G, 1.4G or 1.4S: $70
All classification codes: $117.

Credit card, cheque, cash, direct debit, eftpos or money order.

Application process

The paper form 'Application for Permit to Purchase Explosives' is available from the agency.

Additional information

Holds a current permit to purchase explosives or in the case of fireworks being imported, a pyrotechnician's licence.
In the case of a company, proof of the company name is a legal entity. A certificate of incorporation must accompany the application form.

Administering agency

SafeWork SA

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Chemical Hazards and Explosive Materials (CHEM) Team

SafeWork SA

Operating address: Level 4
33 Richmond Road
Keswick, South Australia 5035
Mailing address: GPO BOX 465
Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Phone: 1300 365 255
Fax: 08 8204 9200
Website: SafeWork SA (Opens in new window)