Mining Lease - South Australia


You will need a mining lease to conduct mining operations, and to remove and sell the minerals. Mining leases can be an:

  • extractive minerals lease
  • mineral lease.

Minerals include:

  • extractive minerals (sand, gravel stone, shell, shale or clay)
  • metallic minerals (e.g. cobalt, gold, silver, etc.)
  • energy minerals (coal or uranium)
  • industrial minerals (e.g. graphite, rare earth elements, salt, etc.)

Persons intending to mine for chrysophrase are advised to contact the agency for further information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Must Have

Mineral Claim

Might Need

Access Claim


Up to 21 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Mining Fee Schedule - PDF (Opens in new window)

Administering agency

Department for Energy and Mining

Mineral Resources Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Mineral Resources Division

Department for Energy and Mining

South Australia
Operating address: Level 4
11 Waymouth Street
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 320
Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Phone: 08 8463 3000
Fax: 08 8463 6518