Permit to Purchase Explosives - South Australia


This permit is required to purchase or receive into your possession or control of explosives including marine flares and propellants for use and/or resale. The only exception is fireworks.To possess or use fireworks a pyrotechnician's licence is required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

  • A National Police Clearance certificate is obtainable at the local Police Station. The certificate must have been issued within the last 3 months from the date of a permit application received by SafeWork SA. Only an original or certified copy of the certificate is acceptable.
  • A certificate of incorporation (if applicable).





Act(s) name

Explosives Act 1936 SA

Application process

The paper form 'Application for Permit to Purchase Explosives' is available from the agency.

Additional information

A current National Police Clearance certificate.
In the case of a company, proof of the company name is a legal entity. A certificate of incorporation and a National Police Clearance must accompany the application form for a permit.

Administering agency

SafeWork SA

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Administration Officer

Operating address: Level 4, World Park A
33 Richmond Road
Keswick SA 5035
Mailing address: GPO Box 465
Adelaide SA 5001
Toll Free: 1300365255
Phone: 0882264885
Fax: 0882264999
Website: (Opens in new window)