Permit to Take Protected Animals - South Australia


You will need to apply for this permit if you intend to take protected animals from the wild, including for the purposes of breeding, education, training or the production of biological products. This permit applies also to the taking of eggs of protected animals.

An animal is a protected animal if it is native to Australia or classified as an exempt, basic or specialist species. Exempt species are very common in captivity and/or their natural habitat and do not ordinarily require a permit to keep or sell. Basic species are common in captivity and/or their natural habitat, and are listed in the legislation. Specialist species are unlisted, though may be difficult to keep, threatened or rare.

You will not need this permit to take unprotected animals, except for galahs or little corellas.

You will need a separate permit if you want to keep, display or sell the protected animal.

Please consult the agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You will require two referees for this permit application.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must submit, within 14 days of the expiry of your permit, a report stating the number of animals of each species and the number of eggs of any protected animal taken by you under the permit.


Up to 12 months


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $153.00 Application fee.
Apply Application All $51.00 Permit approval fee.
Apply Licence All $611.00 Royalty fee per animal - endangered species.
Apply Licence All $306.00 Royalty fee per animal - vulnerable species.
Apply Licence All $153.00

Royalty fee per animal - rare species.

Apply Licence All $76.50

Royalty fee per animal - any other species of protected animal.


Application process


You must complete the application form and submit it to the agency.

You will need to pay a fee upon submitting your permit application, and an additional fee if the permit is approved. You must then pay a royalty fee per animal taken (royalties do not apply to eggs of protected animals).


Permit is not transferable.

Administering agency

Department for Environment and Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Fauna Permit Unit

Department for Environment and Water

Operating address: Ground Floor
81 - 95 Waymouth Street
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 1782
Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Phone: 08 8124 4972