You will need to contact the current processor licensed in South Australia to register your interest. You will need to have entered into a contract with the licensed processor (subject to the grant of a cultivation licence) before you receive and complete your licence application.
You will need to complete a National Police Check to be eligible for a poppy cultivation licence.
You will need to provide evidence that the activity you intend to undertake is either a:
- legitimate commercial activity relating to the therapeutic use of alkaloid poppies
- research activity relating to the non-therapeutic use of alkaloid poppies that is to be conducted by a person with appropriate scientific training and using appropriate methodology.
You will need to be a fit and proper person to hold a poppy cultivation licence. You may be considered a fit and proper person to hold the licence if:
- neither you nor any of your associates has been found guilty of a serious offence in or outside South Australia in the past 10 years
- you and each of your associates is a suitable person to be involved in the cultivation of poppies
- your property or premises will be suitable for the cultivation of alkaloid poppies, including location, facilities and proposed security arrangements.
Your application may also be assessed according to:
- whether you and your associates are of good repute, having regard to character, honesty and integrity
- whether you have a stable financial background
- whether there is a satisfactory ownership, trust or corporate structure in place.
Please consult the agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.