You will need this licence in order to process poppy straw in South Australia for commercial purposes relating to therapeutic use or for research purposes relating to non-therapeutic use.
Poppy straw refers to the upper parts of an alkaloid poppy, including the stem and capsule, harvested after mowing. Alkaloid poppies contain opiates such as morphine, codeine and thebaine used for pain relief and other medications.
You will be authorised under a licence relating to commercial purposes and therapeutic use to:
- receive poppy straw from a licensed grower or processor in South Australia, or a person outside South Australia authorised to possess and supply alkaloid poppies
- process and possess poppy straw at specified premises
- transport, sell or supply poppy straw to a licensed manufacturer
- transport, sell or supply poppy straw to a licensed exporter.
You may also transport, sell or supply poppy straw in the course of exporting poppy straw if you are a licensed exporter.
You will be authorised under a licence relating to research purposes and non-therapeutic use to:
- receive or process poppy straw at specified premises
- possess, transport, sell or supply poppy straw to a licensed processor.
Please contact the agency for more information.