Pyrotechnician's Licence - South Australia


Persons intending to personally use fireworks (other than a general use firework), conduct a fireworks display or a special effects display must obtain a Pyrotechnician's Licence.

A fireworks display means an event or activity involving the outdoor use of fireworks (other than general use fireworks).

A special effects display is the specialist use of fireworks in association with some other activity. It is an event or activity involving the use of fireworks (other than indoor fireworks or general use fireworks) conducted for the purposes of a stunt, or other special effect, for theatrical, cinematic or other entertainment purposes.

General use fireworks that do not require licensing include toy pistol caps, starting pistol caps, sparklers, party poppers, bonbon crackers or blaster balls, aluminium or magnesium torches, amorces and indoor table bombs.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Applicants must be 21 years of age.
Demonstrate practical experience in the use of fireworks (eg training courses, log books) for the level and type of fireworks sought for a licence.
Demonstrate you are a fit and proper person to hold this licence. A current National Police Clearance must accompany application.


12 months.


2018-2019 fees:
$244 application fee.

cash, cheque, money order, eftpos, direct debit or credit card.

Act(s) name

Explosives Act 1936 SA

Regulation(s) name

Explosives (Fireworks) Regulations 2001 SA

Administering agency

SafeWork SA

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Administration Officer

Operating address: Level 4, World Park A
33 Richmond Road
Keswick SA 5035
Mailing address: GPO Box 465
Adelaide SA 5001
Toll Free: 1300365255
Phone: 0882264885
Fax: 0882264999
Website: (Opens in new window)