Under the South Australian Return to Work Act 2014 (the Act), all employers must register with WorkCover within 14 days of commencing employment, in respect of workers in employment to which the Act applies unless exempted by the regulations.
In certain circumstances some self employed persons or independent contractors may come under the definition of prescribed class of worker and the employer will still need to register with WorkCover. Classes of work include:
- Building work;
- Cleaning work;
- Driving a taxi-cab or other similar motor vehicle;
- Driving or riding a vehicle (other than a commercial motor vehicle);
- Performing as a entertainer;
- Performing work as an outworker where that work is governed by an award or industrial agreement pertaining to outworkers; and
- Work of a minister, priest or other member of a religious order (except designated religious orders).
Contact the agency direct for further details regarding any of the above information.