Scientific Research Permit - South Australia


You will need a permit to conduct research in any of South Australia's protected areas or involving protected species of plant or animal.

A protected species of plant includes any native flower, seed or other vegetation which is:

  • native to Australia
  • declared by the Regulations to be a native plant.

A protected species of animal includes any mammal, bird or reptile which is:

  • native to Australia
  • migratory and occasionally migrates to, and lives in, Australia
  • specified as a protected species in the legislation.

You will be authorised under this permit to:

  • use National Parks, Wilderness Protected Areas, Marine Parks, reserves and conservation areas for any research purpose
  • collect or interfere with any protected plant or animal in the wild, including on public, private, and Aboriginal land
  • conduct research involving marine mammals
  • carry out activities related to research, such as accessing your research area, camping on site, or using a boat, plane, or drone.

You will need Animal Ethics Committee approval for studies involving animals. In addition, a separate permit is required to use protected animals for teaching or experimentation.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


1 year


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will change depending on your circumstances. Please contact the agency for more information.

Transfer process


This permit cannot be transferred.

Administering agency

Department for Environment and Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.