Second-hand Vehicle Dealer Licence - South Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to carry on the business of buying or selling second-hand vehicles.

You will be classed as a dealer of second-hand vehicles and need to be licensed if you buy, sell or offer for sale four or more vehicles in a one-year period.

You may apply for an unrestricted licence to buy and sell motor vehicles and motorcycles, or you may apply for a restricted licence to buy and sell motorcycles only.

Please contact the agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You will be required to pay an annual compensation fund fee, unless you are applying to act as a manager for a licensed dealer only (as a manager only, you will not be permitted to trade in your own name).


1 year


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $1040.00 Unrestricted licence application fee for company
Apply Application All $797.00

Unrestricted licence application fee for individual

Apply Application All $650.00 Restricted licence application fee for company
Apply Application All $544.00 Restricted licence application fee for individual
Apply Licence All $200.00

Unrestricted licence compensation fund fee

Apply Licence All $60.00 Restricted licence compensation fund fee

Application process


You will need to lodge your completed application with a copy of your National Police Certificate (if applicable) no more that 1 year old directly with the agency.


This licence cannot be transferred.

Additional information

You may not be able to be licensed as a second-hand vehicle dealer if you, or a company director, have been convicted of an offence involving dishonesty in the last 10 years.

You may apply as a:

  • sole trader
  • partnership, in which case each partner must have a separate licence
  • company, in which case the company and the manager must have separate licences
  • motor wrecker or crash repairer, even if you are only selling vehicles that cannot be driven.

You will not require a licence if:

  • you are a recognised credit provider selling second-hand vehicles as a result of the business
  • you are an auctioneer selling second-hand vehicles on behalf of persons who do not need a licence
  • you only sell vehicles that weigh over 3,000 kilograms, are designed for agricultural or industrial purposes, cannot be used on land, such as boats or are not powered by an engine, such as caravans.

Administering agency

Consumer and Business Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Occupational Licensing

Consumer and Business Services

Operating address: 91 Grenfell Street
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 1719
Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Phone: 13 18 82
Website: Consumer and Business Services (Opens in new window)