Short Term Liquor Licence - South Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to sell, supply, or permit the consumption of liquor:

  • at an event which you will receive commercial or financial benefit from
  • on a licensed premises, whether or not you will receive a commercial or financial benefit.

Events are placed into one of three classes depending on the nature of the event and how you intend to trade. Classes determine:

  • the duration of the licence
  • hours of trade permitted under the licence
  • number of attendees permitted at the event under the licence
  • entertainment permitted at the event under the licence
  • qualifications and duties of persons involved in the sale or supply of liquor under the licence.

You do not require this licence to hold an event on private premises at which you will supply liquor but not receive a commercial or financial benefit.

This is a temporary licence only. You may apply for a short term (five year) licence if you intend to hold regular events.

Please contact the agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must be the host or person organising the event to apply for the licence.

Class 1 and 2 events must nominate a person to be in charge of the event.

Class 3 events must have an approved responsible person present at the event at all times.

Please contact the agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


1 or more days depending on the class of licence.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.


Other resources

Application process


You will need to lodge your completed application with:

  • details of your event
  • a plan of the licensed area
  • a description of how liquor will be served.

You will need to lodge your application at least 7 days before a class 1 event, 30 days before a class 2 event, and 60 days before a class 3 event.


Licence cannot be transferred.

Administering agency

Consumer and Business Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Liquor and Gaming

Consumer and Business Services

Operating address: 91 Grenfell Street
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 1719
Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Phone: 13 18 82
Website: Consumer and Business Services (Opens in new window)