You will require this licence if you intend to conduct a lottery to promote the sale of goods or services. There are two types of promotion:
- major trade promotion
- instant prize trade promotion.
Your lottery will be classed as a major trade promotion if the total prize value exceeds $5000 and you are not using instant scratch or break-open tickets. In a major trade promotion lottery, entry must be free, however:
- participants may have to purchase goods or services, which are the subject of the promotion
- winners must be determined by lot, draw or chance
- the cost of entry by phone must not exceed 55 cents for landlines and 50 cents for mobile phones
- the cost of entry by post cannot exceed the normal cost of postage.
Your lottery will be classed as an instant prize trade promotion if you are using instant scratch or break-open tickets where the number, letter or symbol indicating the winning chance is hidden or concealed, regardless of prize value. In an instant prize trade promotion lottery, there may also be:
- an unclaimed prize draw
- a second chance or major draw in the terms and conditions.
If the lottery will also run outside of South Australia in another state or territory, you will need to contact the relevant agency in that state or territory in regard to its licensing requirements.
Please contact the agency for more information.