If you operate a mine or quarry in South Australia, you will need to ensure your mine manager meets the general competency requirements. These include:
- the relevant training, qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills to manage and supervise the relevant mining operations
- the knowledge of the legislated work health and safety requirements
- must be capable of managing hazards in mines.
If you operate an underground mine with 20 or more workers, you must comply with the general competency requirements above, as well as being satisfied the mine manager:
- has at least five years??? experience working in mines
- has at least three years??? experience working in an underground mine with at least two years underground mining operational experience and experience supervising underground mining operations
- has a degree or diploma in mining engineering.
If you operate a quarry with 20 or more workers, you must comply with the general competency requirements above, as well as being satisfied the person either has:
- a degree in mining engineering
- a diploma in surface operation management.