Wildlife Carer Permit - South Australia


You will need a permit if you intend to operate as a wildlife carer of protected animals. A protected animal includes any species of mammal, bird or reptile which is:

  • native to Australia
  • migratory and occasionally migrates to and lives in Australia
  • specified as a protected species in the legislation.

This permit will authorise you to take and care for protected animals that are injured, sick or orphaned for the purpose of rehabilitation and release. You will be entitled under this permit to take:

  • protected animals listed in the Regulations as 'basic species', which are defined as being common in captivity and / or in their natural habitat, and which keeping and selling has little impact on naturally occurring populations
  • specialist species (specified on your permit), which are not listed though are generally difficult to keep, threatened, or rare
  • exempt species, which are very common in captivity and / or in their natural habitat and do not usually require a permit to keep.

You will need separate permits to run a wildlife rehabilitation facility or retain protected animals unfit for release.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must:

  • demonstrate experience in the rescue, rehabilitation and release of wild animals
  • demonstrate knowledge of the requirements of keeping and caring for wild animals relevant to the species to which the permit pertains.


One year


30 June


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All You do not need to pay any fees.


Application process


Please lodge your completed application with:

  • two written references
  • evidence of an animal release plan.

A site inspection may be included as pert of the application process.


This permit cannot be transferred.

Administering agency

Department for Environment and Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Fauna Permit Unit

Department for Environment and Water

South Australia
Operating address: Ground Floor
81 - 95 Waymouth Street
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 1782
Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Phone: 08 8124 4972
Email: dewfaunapermitsunit@sa.gov.au