You will need this permit if you intend to keep, sell and display protected animals as part of a business of wildlife display, demonstration, education or entertainment. A protected animal includes any species of mammal, bird or reptile which is:
- indigenous to Australia
- migratory and occasionally migrates to, and lives in, Australia
- specified as a protected species in the legislation.
This permit will authorise you to keep, sell or give, and display:
- animals listed in the Regulations as 'basic species', which are defined as being common in captivity and / or in their natural habitat, and which keeping and selling has little impact on naturally occurring populations
- specialist species (specified on your permit), which are not listed though are generally difficult to keep, threatened, or rare.
There are 2 classes of permit:
- a class 4 permit to display protected animals at a permanent facility and / or temporary locations elsewhere in South Australia
- a class 5 (Mobile Wildlife Educator / Demonstrator) permit to display protected animals at temporary locations in South Australia.
You may sell or give away animals under this permit, though only to the holder of an appropriate wildlife permit and only if you have bred that animal or held it in your possession for at least six months.
You will require separate permits to import or export animals into or from South Australia.