You will need this licence if you intend to carry out the removal of asbestos or asbestos-containing materials. There are two classes of licence:
- Class A licence - authorises you to remove friable and non-friable asbestos and asbestos-contaminated dust (ACD).
- Class B licence - authorises you to remove non-friable asbestos or ACD associated with the removal of non-friable asbestos.
Friable asbestos are materials containing asbestos:
- that can break down into power by hand when dry
- are more likely to release measurable levels of asbestos into the environment when disturbed
- generally pose a greater risk to health.
Non-friable asbestos are materials containing asbestos:
- that is firmly bonded into the material
- are unlikely to release measurable levels of asbestos into the environment if left undisturbed
- generally pose a lower risk to health.