You will need to hold a certificate of competency If you intend to apply agricultural chemical products for a commercial spraying business.
Certificates of competency may be issued to operators who have completed recognised accredited training in the use of agricultural chemicals. Dependent on the training completed, the certificate issued will specify the type of spraying permitted.
The types of certificates that may be issued are:
- Category 1 - hand held equipment, small volumes (under 2 litres or 2 kilograms per year) of herbicide concentrate registered for home garden use.
- Category 2 - hand held equipment, larger volumes of herbicides, insecticides, etc, and application of vertebrate pest poisons.
- Category 3 - motorised application equipment (for example, boom spray, air blast).
- Pest Management Technician - pest control in and around buildings (rodents, ants, wasps, etc).
- Methyl Bromide / Phosphine User - application of fumigants (glasshouses, quarantine, etc).