You may need this approval to register a vehicle that does not comply with relevant vehicle standards or for any other reason requires conditions. The conditions imposed may relate to the use of the vehicle, the area in which the vehicle can be used or any other conditions the Registrar may consider relevant.
The categories of conditional registration are:
- non-compliant (not complying with ADR rules)
- club event (vintage / veteran / street rod)
- restricted (limited distance)
- concessional (40% rebate if limited specific use)
- special purpose (vehicles constructed primarily for lifting, moving, compressing, rolling or laying of material)
- special interest (vehicles can only be used 52 or 104 days per year if the vehicle is registered for 6 or 12 months, respectively).
Examples of the types of vehicles which may require conditional registration include:
- ride on lawn mowers
- farm tractors
- agricultural farm bikes
- hydraulic excavators
- log skidders
- dune buggies
- self-propelled golf buggies
- off road recreational motorcycles and other vehicles
- earth moving equipment
- self-propelled sports ground maintenance equipment
- fork lift trucks
- vehicles modified for disabled drivers
- all terrain vehicles required to be driven on a public street or used for hire and drive
- cherry pickers
- concrete pumps.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.