Energy Retailer Authorisation - Tasmania


You will need this authorisation if you intend to engage in the retail sale of electricity. This includes supply of electricity to premises that are connected, or are to be connected, to the interconnected national electricity.

This authorisation is in place to ensure that energy providers are complying with relevant rules and legislation and therefore customers' rights are being protected, with respect to price, quality, safety, reliability and security of supply of energy. Authorised retailers details, and any application for authorisation are published in a public register.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this authorisation you must:

  • have sufficient organisational and technical capacity
  • have sufficient financial resources or access to resources
  • be a suitable person to hold a retailer authorisation.

You can apply as an individual or as a member of a partnership or joint venture. If you are applying as a partnership or joint venture, you must satisfy specific criteria.


A retailer authorisation does not expire. It will continue until it is surrendered or revoked.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You do not need to pay any fees.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Retail Exemptions - PDF (Opens in new window)
Comply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader AER Retailer Authorisation Guideline - DOCX (Opens in new window)
General Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Public Register of Authorised Retailers and Authorisation Applications (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

National Energy Retail Law (Tasmania) Act 2012 Tasmania

Regulation(s) name

National Energy Retail Law (Tasmania) Regulations 2012 Tasmania

Lodgement process


Applications must be submitted both in writing and electronically via email.

Approval time

The Agency aims to make a decision within 12 weeks of receiving all relevant information.

Additional information

You will not need this authorisation if you only sell electricity to an authorised retailer. Nor will you need this authorisation if you are the owner of a caravan park, shopping centre or other building and you buy electricity from an authorised retailer then onsell it to your tenants.

Administering agency

Australian Energy Regulator

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.