** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Environmental Licence to Operate a Finfish Farm - Tasmania


You will need this licence if you intend to conduct finfish farming activities in inland waters or State waters.

State waters include:

  • any waters within the territorial sea of Australia
  • any marine or tidal waters adjacent to Tasmania (except inland waters)
  • any land which is swept by State waters to the highest landward extent
  • waters that relate to a marine farming lease.

Inland waters include:

  • any waters specified as or declared to be inland waters
  • any natural or artificial lakes, reservoir, tarn, pond, pool, swamp, marsh, dam or waterhole containing water
  • any waters contained in any hatchery, aquarium, tank, trough or other container of any kind, size or shape
  • waters that relate to a fish farm licence.

You may not need to directly apply for this licence if your local council needs you to apply for a permit in order to carry out your intended activities. In this case, your council will refer the application to the relevant agency.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.

Act(s) name

Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 Tasmania

Finfish Farming Environmental Regulation Act 2017 Tasmania

Administering agency

Environment Protection Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.