You will need a permit if you intend to hold a fireworks display. There are three types of permit available:
- type 2 permits - to celebrate Commonwealth Day (Cracker Night)
- pyrotechnician permits - for outdoor fireworks displays
- theatrical permits - for indoor fireworks displays.
Cracker Night occurs annually on 24th May. If this date is not a Saturday, the following Saturday will apply. Anyone 18 years or older can apply for a cracker night fireworks display permit.
All other firework displays must be conducted:
- by a pyrotechnician (a person that holds a shot-firing permit with a pyrotechnics endorsement)
- for an approved purpose.
Approved purposes include:
- New Year's Eve celebrations
- finale to major agricultural, sporting or recreation events
- school and community fairs
- the opening or anniversary of a major commercial enterprise
- Australia Day celebrations.