If you intend to hold a fireworks display you will need a fireworks display permit. There are three types of permit available:
- 'Type 2' permits - to celebrate Commonwealth Day (Cracker Night)
- Pyrotechnician Permits - for outdoor fireworks displays
- Theatrical Permits - for indoor fireworks displays.
Cracker Night occurs annually on 24th May. If this date is not a Saturday, the following Saturday will apply. Anyone 18 years or older can apply for a permit.
All other firework displays must be:
- conducted by a pyrotechnician (a person that holds a shot-firing permit with a pyrotechnics endorsement)
- for an approved purpose.
Approved purposes include:
- New Year's Eve celebrations
- finale to major agricultural, sporting or recreation events
- school and community fairs
- the opening or anniversary of a major commercial enterprise
- Australia Day celebrations.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.