Grant of a Lease or Licence for Crown Land - Tasmania


You will need to hold a Crown lease or licence if you intend to use or occupy Crown Land within Tasmania.

A lease can be granted for any purpose that the agency sees fit. Leases are generally issued where longer-term commercial activities are proposed or there are existing buildings or structures on the Crown Land. Examples include:

  • marinas
  • buildings / improvements / structures
  • commercial ventures
  • sporting facilities.

A licence can be granted for any purpose that the Agency sees fit. Generally licences are issued to authorise the use or occupation of Crown Land. Examples include:

  • shared access over reserved roads
  • maintenance
  • apiary
  • grazing
  • private slipways and jetties.

If you intend to provide nature based tourism services, you will need a Nature Based Tourism licence.

To obtain a licence to conduct mining activities on Crown Land, you must also obtain mining rights to that land.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

All application to use Crown Land are subject to assessments and approvals.

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.



Leases can be for a period of up to 99 years. However, leases for rural purposes can only be up to 21 years. The duration of a licence will be determined during the application process. A temporary licence can be granted for a period of 12 months.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fee information is in the attached forms.

Act(s) name

Crown Lands Act 1976 Tasmania

Regulation(s) name

Crown Lands Regulations 2011 Tasmania

Lodgement process


The application form and associated fees can be submitted at any Service Tasmania Shop or posted to the responsible agency.

Administering agency

Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment

Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Property Services

Parks and Wildlife Service

Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment

Mailing address: GPO BOX 44
Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Phone: 03 6169 9015