Licence to Keep an Accommodation House - Tasmania


You will require this licence if you intend to keep an accommodation house. An accommodation house is any house or building (or part of a house or building) that provides accommodation for gain as its primary purpose, in which tenants may have access to shared sanitary, lounge, dining and cooking facilities. It does not include tourist or backpacker accommodation, or accommodation houses licensed, regulated, or registered by any Tasmanian State Government agency.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must provide the following information on:

  • the number of rooms to be used as bedrooms
  • the number of floor levels
  • the number of people intended to be accommodated
  • whether males only, females only, or mixed.

You must also obtain a Certificate of Clearance from the Tasmania Fire Service, certifying that the accommodation house complies with all relevant legislation.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1993 Tasmania

Administering agency

Your local council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.