You will need this licence if you intend to provide alcohol to the public, but the provision of alcohol is not considered to be the principal purpose of your business. This licence will authorise the sale of alcohol:
- between specific times
- on specific premises.
Examples of businesses that may provide alcohol through a special licence are:
- restaurants that sell alcohol for consumption with meals
- theatres that sell of alcohol to theatre goers
- transport businesses that sell alcohol to passengers
- wholesalers that sell alcohol to other liquor licence holders
- accommodation providers that sell alcohol to guests
- tourist attraction businesses that sell alcohol to persons attending the attraction and / or paying an entrance fee.
If you intend to allow patrons to bring their own alcohol (BYO), please consult your local council for compliance issues.
You will also need this approval if you intend to start a business that sells alcohol online via a website.